Monday, May 17, 2010

Habari za asubuhi (News of the morning)

Mambo!

Hallo, hallo. I made it to TZ yeterday afternoon & things are super groovy. It's so lush & beautiful. Birds chirping, butterflies, an open blue sky, and a nice coastline. Of course, there's also the uglier side- lots of mosquitos, pollution, and poverty. But people are extremely friendly, & don't miss a chance to say, 'Karibu!' (welcome!) when ever I walk by.

I'm so impressed by Kristi since she didn't know a word of Swahili last time I saw her but is now rapidly conversing with the locals without a problem. Makes me want to take off for a couple years to go to a village somewhere (ideally in South Asia) & get the full emersion experience.

Me, Kristi, and her friend Bill (another PeaceCorps Volunteer) stayed in a hostel here in Dar es Salaam last night, but we're catching a bus this afternoon to Kibanda (right outside of Muheza) to visit the family who hosted Kristi her first 2 months in TZ. It will be about a 5 hr bumpy ride, but I actually enjoyed riding the public bus around Dar yesterday & today. Seeing the cattle shoot to cram into the packed bus was quite the adventure in & of itself.

Oh! The clothes I brought weren't the best for here (hot, humid, conservative), though I did stick within the guidelines of what Kristi said to bring (cotton shirts, skirts/capris longer than knees, etc). But showing legs (even the lower half) isn't good in the village, so Krsiti let me borrow a sexy maroon moomoo of her's that is so comfy & cool. I wish I had thought to bring my Mexican moomoo, but that's ok- I'll acquire 1 or 2 here. We are at the Peace Corps office right now using the computer lab before heading off, & there is a box of clothes that PC volunteers left behind for anyone to take, so I scored a kanga (basically a big piece of cloth women wear) & local skirt/shirt set that fits perfectly. At some point I'll find a place to be able to post pics & videos I take.

I'll be out of commission for the next several days since we'll be in the village, but will text Caty from my phone once I get a sim card this afternoon so she can be in touch should it be necessary (calystaspence@gmail.com).

Hope everything is going well for everyone.

Love & all that peaceful goodness!


P.S. Thanks for the comments. =)

P.S.S. I did take a peak at your emails but don't have time to respond before catching that bus. thanks for the emails & will be in touch when I can.

2 comments:

Nadie Christina said...

Hi Tabby,

I'm loving read about your adventures. Good to know you are well and living this experience so intensely (with mosquitoes, but also to live with friendly people). We're fine, despite miss you a lot. Our adventures have been quite modest. Yesterday we had one day at the mall to take a Portuguese colleague (Isabel) to buy Levi's jeans that is considered a symbol of distinction in Europe, especially in Portugal. You had to
thrill to see her wearing her first Levi's. We went with Calysta and she helped us find the best deals. I will be anxiously awaiting the posting of photos or videos about your adventures.
Big kiss and have a nice trip!

love, NĂ¡die

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of/happy for you! I'm super jealous about Ethiopia after all I've learned working at Asters. Have fun and happy trails!