Monday, June 14, 2010

Addis- I love it!


Hi guys,

I don't have a phone right now bc it slipped out of my pocket in the shared taxi yesterday (didn't notice bc I was wearing my big yellow pancho since it was raining) & whoever found it was probably delighted to have a phone which $30 worth of minutes was just added to. Urgh!

But no worries. I'm going to the Piazza later today to get a replacement phone (fortunately, I never bought the first phone- it's just the one I was given by the UT in India program 2 summers ago) & then to the telecommunications office (phone & internet services here are govt owned) for a replacement sim card. I think they'll be able to cancel the old one so whoever has my phone can't use it & will set the new one so I still have the same #.

In other news, things are going well here. Yesterday I checked out a house that a friend of a friend of an acquaintance lives in. She & her roomie are both Irish & work for the UNHRC with Somalian & Eritrean refugees here. They had a 3rd roomie who just moved away, so I will find out tonight if I'll be taking the girl's room. The house is PERFECT so I really hope it works out. It's nicely decorated, spacious, and has an avocado tree (yay! I'll make guacamole everyday!). They have 3 guards at the gate (the UN requires their employees to have guards) & a big beautiful dog, plus, a cleaning lady who cleans, cooks, & does laundry (woohoo! no more washing my own by hand!). And the house is just next to Bole Road, so it will be easy to catch a shared taxi to the office everyday.

I feel so spoiled here. Food is ridiculously cheap & delicious. This morning I had a macchioto (yep, I've acquired a taste for coffee in Ethiopia. Who would have thought?), a cheese omelet, and a chocolate croissant at a French cafe all for less that 25 Birr (about $2).

I've spent my weekdays at the IWMI office reading, interviewing potential field assistants, and working out a plan for interviews. My weeknights are spent with couchsurfing hosts, Upeace employees, and interns at IWMI eating amazing food, dancing, and watching some world cup games. This weekend I even indulged in my first ever Moroccan bath. I had no idea what I was in for, but Golda (who is hosting me) was going for her weekly 100 Birr massage (less than $10) & invited me along. She suggested I have the Moroccan bath so that's what I got & it was AMAZING (but I was a bit confused at first by the absence of a bath tub). I never knew I had so much nastiness in my skin until it was cleaned like that & I watched all the icky stuff come off.

I still have a ton to share on the Tanzania trip (and photos + videos to upload), so stay tuned. Hope all is groovy for you guys!

<3 Tabby

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Good to hear from you... You'll have to expound on the "Moroccan bath" some time, but we're just glad you're bathing. ;)